Functional Electrical Stimulation
Maple Care Physiotherapy is pleased announce its association with FES Mobility Ltd, the Canadian distributor for UK based Odstock Medical Ltd.
Odstock Medical Ltd, leaders in the field of Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES), provide the Odstock Pace Dropped Foot Stimulator (ODFS Pace) for neurologically impaired gait.
Since the 1980s Odstock stimulators have helped thousands of patients with stroke, multiple sclerosis (MS), traumatic brain injury (TBI) and other neurologic diagnoses improve their walking.
Maple Care is tremendously pleased to offer this technology to our patients in the Ottawa area. Our therapists are trained and certified to provide the technology and we offer ongoing support and monitoring to patients after fitting.
We also work in close collaboration with the FES Mobility physiotherapist to ensure patients receive the best possible outcomes after acquiring the technology.
Dropped foot stimulation improves walking through stimulation of the Common Peroneal Nerve in the leg to enhance and improve movement of the affected ankle, knee and hip. This technology is not new as it was initially developed in the early 1960s to assist walking after stroke. It is now considered a standard intervention to improve walking after neurologic injury involving the brain or upper spinal cord (thoracic & cervical levels).
Many studies have been undertaken that show:
- Odstock technology helps users walk faster, more safely, with less effort and over longer distances.
- Continued benefits from using the technology include improvement of mobility and associated benefits such as greater psychological well-being from increased activity level and participation in more activities of daily life (ADLs).
- A training or therapeutic effect is also seen with even a few months of stimulator use where a follow up evaluation shows improved speed and steppingÂ ability even when the stimulator is not being used.
- While full time use of a stimulator is encouraged patients will also benefit even intermittent or outdoor use only.
- The key benefit of the Odstock stimulator is that it activates nerves and muscles, affected by the stroke or the MS so that it is an active rather than a passive intervention. It involves activating the user's own muscular (musculoskeletal) system where they can benefit from on-going rehabilitation and activation even years after onset of the stroke, MS or TBI.
- Odstock technology is Health Canada approved.
- If you think the technology might help your walking - please contact us to set up an assessment appointment.Â A Dr's referral is not required.
- Please call us at (613) 695-1111 or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- We invite you to go to www.fesmobility.com for full background and information on Odstock technology with specific user information on the Patient and FAQ pages
- Information is also available at www.odstockmedical.com